This recipe was modified from an Allrecipes one by Robbie Rice.
1 pie crust – I use Wholly Wholesome or in the fall the gluten-free one from Trader Joes. Before our GF days, I used Pillsbury pre-made ones but of course, you can make your own pie crust, GF or not.
1/3 c. butter
1 large or 2 medium onions, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1/3 c. flour – I use GF Cup4Cup
1 t. garlic salt
1/2 t. poultry seasoning
1/2 t. pepper
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. 1% low-fat milk
1 package of frozen vegeatbles 16 oz. carrots, green beans, corn, peas
1 pound chicken breast without skin (I use leftover rotisserie chicken), cut in bite size pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray the bottom of a deep dish pie or 8×8 square pan. I like the glass square pan with a lid even though it doesn’t match the pie crust
- In a saucepan, melt butter, then cook onion and celery for about 10-15 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Stir in chicken and frozen veggie package. Remove from heat.
- Pour chicken mixture into prepared pan. Cover with crust. Make a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 4-6 servings.