1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (Can use rosemary, tarragon or any preferred combination of herbs)
3 teaspoons white wine vinegar
2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves ( I actually like to use chicken tenders or strips which cook faster)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise
1 large red onion, cut into 1/3 inch slices
2 pita bread rounds (I use MyBread gluten free pita rounds)
1. Blend first 3 ingredients in the mini-chopper or Ninja; season with salt and pepper.
2. Flatten chicken with meat mallet, in plastic bags, to 1/2 inch thickness. (I just buy the thinner tenders). Place chicken on foil or plate. Brush chicken with 1 T. of oil; sprinkle with half the garlic, then salt and pepper.
3. Place zucchini and onion slices on foil or plate. Brush with remaining 1 T. oil, sprinkle with remaining garlic, then salt and pepper.
4. Prepare barbecue to medium-high heat. Grill chicken pieces until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to work surface. Grill vegetables until softened slightly and charred, about 7 minutes per side for the onion and 5 minutes per side for zucchini. Transfer to work Surface. Chop all into bite size pieces (I left the chicken unchopped as a tender) .
5. Microwave pitas for 30 seconds on plate (No I put them on the grill briefly and it’s so much better). Spread with herb mayo. Top with chopped, grilled chicken mixture.
Note: Using chicken tenders I ended up making 2 sandwiches for each person.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Source: Bon Appetit p. 109
Copyright: Aug 2003