Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Make You Burn by Megan Crane
Series: Deacons of Bourbon Street #1
on August 4th 2015
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Meet the Deacons of Bourbon Street, bad boy bikers who are hell on wheels—and heaven between the sheets. Megan Crane revs up an irresistible new series co-written with Rachael Johns, Jackie Ashenden, and Maisey Yates.
Sean “Ajax” Harding’s oaths are inked into his skin. Once second-in-command of the Deacons of Bourbon Street motorcycle club, he left New Orleans to protect the brotherhood, and only the death of his beloved mentor, Priest Lombard, could lure him back. Walking into the old hangout gives him a familiar thrill—especially when he gets an eyeful of the bar’s delectable new owner. A wild ride with her is just the welcome Ajax needs. Then he realizes that she’s Priest’s daughter, all grown up and totally off limits.
Sophie Lombard loved her father, not his lifestyle. She’s done with bikers . . . until Ajax roars into town—arrogant, tough, and sexy as ever. And although he treats her like the Catholic schoolgirl he once knew, Sophie’s daydreams tend to revolve around sin. With the very real possibility of heartbreak looming, Sophie knows better than to get too close to an outlaw. But every touch from Ajax is steamier than the Louisiana bayou—and heat like this may just be worth getting burned.
I have been excited to get into this genre because I am a Harley rider, a 2009 Dyna Super Glide. I have done some long distance traveling. In 2014, I rode 17,000 miles in 29 states. Sadly, I won’t ride as much this year.
I read one book from another motorcycle series book last summer and didn’t really love it. It was very violent, very dark and quite graphic.
Make You Burn is more of a sexy, on the edge book. It doesn’t really give hardly any details of the club. This is more of an erotic romance between an exiled member of the club and the club president’s daughter. There is only limited plot other than this, limited action or mystery. In a sense, these are the loose ends to learn more about the club, and the mysteries, as the series unfolds.
It might be because it wasn’t what I was expecting, but I didn’t enjoy it much. Ajax was an alpha hole, as they say, and other than being handsome and powerful, wasn’t attractive to me. An alpha man whore needs to show more intelligence or humor to interest me. I didn’t get enough here. Sophie is more relatable and likable. I feel as though all the characters could have had more depth. I could understand the attraction but I didn’t feel it.
If I read further in the series, I might come to know the characters better and learn more about some of the questions I had when this story ended. I would also hope to get a lot more information on the club and questions I had and just MORE, by reading future installments. If you prefer erotic romance with an alpha guy, rather than romantic suspense or mystery (less plot more sex), you may enjoy this book.
5 Pictures of Charlie Hunnam that Inspired the Writing of Make You Burn
- This is the first picture I ever saw of him. It inspired me to become a very, very serious fan. Of his work. 😉
- I immersed myself in Sons of Anarchy, as you do. Complete, all-out binge of the first four seasons, then the rest as they came out. That can get into a writer’s brain. I knew I wanted to write a biker book.
- When I had the opportunity to write Make You Burn, I jumped at it! A man so beautiful people sometimes fail to notice how dangerous he is? I loved the idea. And I had a lot of inspiration.
- My character Ajax (so named because if you step to him, he’ll clean the floor with you), it turns out, has a whole lot of swagger. It’s central to who he is and his role in the Deacons of Bourbon Street MC.
- And I found that the things that make Ajax such a fierce biker make him a pretty phenomenal lover, too. Lucky Sophie, who wins his heart. She finds him maddening—but she can’t quite resist him, either. Can you?
One Loveswept Mug
One Flirt Mug
Ebook copies of:
JUST A LITTLE CRUSH by Renita Pizzitola
CRUSHED by Lauren Layne
AGAINST THE CAGE by Sidney Halston
POSSESS by Laura Marie Altom
AFTER MIDNIGHT by Kathy Clark
MAKE YOU BURN by Megan Crane
MY HIGHLAND LOVER by Maeve Greyson
BREAKING NOAH by Missy Johnson and Ashley Suzanne
A FASHIONABLE INDULGENCE by K.J. Charles
FORBIDDEN by Jacquelyn Frank