Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Smoke Bitten by Patricia Briggs
Series: Mercy Thompson #12
Published by Ace on March 17, 2020
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Amazon, Audible, Audiobook, Barnes & Noble, iTunes
I am Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman.
My only "superpowers" are that I turn into a thirty-five pound coyote and fix Volkswagens. But I have friends in odd places and a pack of werewolves at my back. It looks like I'm going to need them.
Centuries ago, the fae dwelt in Underhill--until she locked her doors against them. They left behind their great castles and troves of magical artifacts. They abandoned their prisoners and their pets. Without the fae to mind them, those creatures who remained behind roamed freely through Underhill wreaking havoc. Only the deadliest survived.
Now one of those prisoners has escaped. It can look like anyone, any creature it chooses. But if it bites you, it controls you. It lives for chaos and destruction. It can make you do anything--even kill the person you love the most. Now it is here, in the Tri-Cities. In my territory.
It won't, can't, remain.
Not if I have anything to say about it
This year we are doing a Read-Along of the Mercy Thompson series. We are currently reading Bone Crossed which is the fourth book. We would love to have you join us! Because of the Read-along, I am only doing my first thoughts here with a full review later in the year for the Read-along.
- I really love this author and this series. Each book is so well-written with rich details, cleverly crafted plots, and imperfect, realistic characters. I appreciate the subtle humor as well.
- The main characters may be werewolves, except Mercy isn’t and the fae, vampires and witches always seem to have a role in the current situation.
- Mercy is incredible! I love how intelligent and compassionate she is, even when it would be so easy to not risk herself for who mistreat her. She is so very often alone in her efforts. Is this because she is independent or because the pace of the revelations happens so quickly she has to act spur the moment?
- I still don’t like Christy!
- I still love Kyle!
- In the reread, I have been much more aware of her relationship with Adam. I didn’t appreciate the first time around, how much he loves her and the difficult positions they face, partly because she is not a werewolf. They face new challenges and I’m so proud of Mercy for seeing past the surface.
- I am thrilled Mercy was able to figure things out – again – to help save some of those she loves.
I am still developing the complete grand prize package which I will update as we go along in the Read-along. I know it will contain the MP3 audio versions of the books from Brilliance Audio, probably signed as I intend to go see Patricia Briggs at a conference or two this year. It will also contain swag from those events. There will be a Mercy Thompson enamel pin from AceRoc.
- Sunday Post –28 November 2021 @kimbacaffeinate @readingreality - November 28, 2021
- A Christmas Legacy by Anne Perry @AnnePerryWriter @randomhouse#ballantinebooks #HoHoHoRAT - November 26, 2021
- Thrifty ThursdayHo Ho Ho Readthon Edition #HoHoHoRAT #ThriftyThursday #KindleUnlimited - November 25, 2021