Branded by Fire by Nalini Singh
Narrator: Angela Dawe
Series: Psy-Changeling #6
Published by Tantor Audio on May 30, 2011
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Length: hours, minutes
Amazon, Audible, Audiobook, Barnes & Noble, iTunes
Though DarkRiver sentinel Mercy is feeling the pressure to mate, she savagely resists when Riley Kincaid, a lieutenant from the SnowDancer pack, tries to possess her. The problem is not simply that he pushes her buttons; the problem is that he's a wolf, she's a cat, and they're both used to being on top.
But when a brilliant changeling researcher is kidnapped from DarkRiver territory, Mercy and Riley must work together to track the young man - before his shadowy captors decide he's no longer useful. Along the way, the two dominants may find that submitting to one another uncovers not just a deadly conspiracy, but a passion so raw that it'll leave them both branded by fire...
In this series we have seen many pairings. In Branded by Fire, we see a pairing that may threaten the peace between Wolf and Shifter. The majority of this book is told through the eyes of Mercy. I really came to adore Mercy in the previous book, when we got to see more of her relationship with Dorian.
Mercy is loyal to her friends and even more loyal to Dark Rivers Alpha. So, she is surprised that she finds herself fulfilling her physical needs with Riley who is equal to her in pack hierarchy within the wolf pack.
Mercy and Riley sizzle from the opening chapters of this book, I was driving while listening to some of the chapters and I definitely needed to roll my windows up during some steamy moments
This book has a nice balance between exploring Mercy & Riley’s relationship and laying the foundation for future stories. So many characters show up from the other stories and have perfect cameos. I especially loved learning more about Mercy’s family and deeper insight into how the Pack works.
Mercy and Riley’s mission to rescue a changeling researcher brings them closer together and magnifies the loss that may occur when they submit to the mating dance. I really was worried for the pair but of course Nalini pulled out a satisfactory ending. We also get the announcement we have been waiting for as a beloved couple announces their pregnancy. There is tremendous community between the women in this book. It was really nice to see the different women support each other and make fun of the over possessiveness of their men. It’s wonderful how much these characters have come to mean to me and I love little snippets with the characters from other book
Listen to a clip: HERE
Who said (enter the answer in the Rafflecopter, don’t put in the comments)
“Wait a second.” She looked down then back up. “Nope, I haven’t grown a cock in the last few minutes. I have no need to prove whose is bigger.”
There are other options in the rafflecopter for you to enter discussion questions and quotes to share.
The quote for Who said in Hostage to Pleasure was Sascha and Lucas.
“I’m messing up your shirt.”
” Are you?” A kiss, a teasing flick of tongue along the seam of her lips. “Do it some more so I can be sure.”
The villain was Henry Scott.
Share your review/ thoughts on Branded by Fire:
I thought it might be fun to link up reviews so we can find them all easily. It can be a link to Goodreads or a blog, or wherever you have a review (short or long).
Observations and questions you shared from Hostage to Pleasure:
(Thank you so much for sharing!)
- We had several discussions about the timeline. It looks like the stories began in 2079 (not 2075) and we are now in 2080 about a year and a half later.
- It seemed like most of the story focused on Ashaya and Dorian only got a bit of his story jammed in at the end. I thought the novella – Dorian – really made the story better and wish more of it could have been in the book.
- What species will the children of Sacha and Lucas be? Will they have characteristics of one or both parents?
- How will the new Psy – Changeling net work out? How much mental connection will there be with Changelings?
- Will Amara fit in to the Web of Stars and their world?
Quotes you readers shared from Hostage to Pleasure:
(Thank you for sharing, Victoria! Everyone please share more quotes.)
He didn’t tell her to stop analyzing their interaction, didn’t accuse her of not acting like a normal woman, both fears she’s harbored. Instead, he smiled and said, ” Show me where.” ~ Dorian / Ashaya
He was the newest member of the Council, but he’d ruled the influential Nightstar clan for decades, was powerful enough that he’d defied the Council with impunity before his ascension. So when he spoke, everyone listened. Even Shoshanna. ~ Anthony Nightstar
We’re a race that leaves behind no art, no music, no literature. Our immortality lies in the genetic inheritance we pass on to our offspring. Without that, we’re nothing once we cease to exist. ~Ashaya
Here’s your to-do list:
- Find your copies of these books, borrow them from a friend, get them at the library or buy them.
- Read the deleted scene from the author’s site 6.1 The Party.
- Read Book 7, Blaze of Memory, by May 28.
- Make a list of a favorite quote or two as you read the book.
- If you haven’t read the books before, make a list of questions you have for the discussion. If you have read them, please don’t spoil new readers.
- Link up your review on Goodreads or your site to the post.
- Join the COYER book chat on the Sunday following the post.
- Enter the giveaways!
COYER Challenge is adopting our Read-along. You can read about COYER and join that challenge or just the Facebook community chat HERE.
Branded by Fire chat in a FB room (like we do for COYER book club) is:
May 9 at 12 PT, 2 CT, 3 ET and 9pn Europe, for a one hour chat.
You do not have to join the COYER challenge to participate, only the Facebook group.
We are doing one book every 3-4 weeks, posting on Fridays. We should have a review for most of the books with the team here at Books of My Heart plus some of our friends.
May 7: Branded by Fire – Kai @ Fiction State of Mind
May 28: Blaze of Memory – Sophia
Jun 18: Bonds of Justice – Angela @ Angel’s Guilty Pleasures
Jul 16: Play of Passion – Robin
Aug 6: Kiss of Snow – Melanie?
Aug 27: Tangle of Need – Victoria @ First of All
Sep 17: Heart of Obsidian – Linda @ Unconventional Bookworms
Oct 15: Shield of Winter – Samantha @ The Book Disciple
Nov 5: Shards of Hope – Jen @ That’s What I’m Talking About
Dec 3: Allegiance of Honor – Anne
Miss a post?
Jan 1: Slave to Sensation – Stephanie @ Once Upon a Chapter
Jan 29: Visions of Heat – Rachel @ Waves of Fiction
Feb 19: Caressed by Ice – Kim @ Caffeinated Reviewer
Mar 19: Mine to Possess – KC
Apr 16: Hostage to Pleasure – Berls @ Because Reading
Be sure to enter the giveaways!!!
A copy of Bonds of Justice, book 8.
Tantor Audio is generously donating a set of 15 codes for the entire set on audio. Codes will work US or Intl.
- 🎧 Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie #AgathaChristie #DavidSuchet @realhughfraser #NigelHawthorne #IslaBlair @HarperAudio #LoveAudiobooks - September 18, 2021
- Read-along & Giveaway: Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh @NaliniSingh @BerkleyRomance @McLexxie @TantorAudio #Read-along #GIVEAWAY #LoveAudiobooks - September 17, 2021
- Thrifty Thursday : Slow Burn by Lisa Clark O’Neill @LisaClarkONeill #ThriftyThursday #KindleUnlimited - September 16, 2021
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: